St. Paul’s has its origins in a Sunday school started in the 1880s by a pioneer settler from England, Mary Walker Humphris, in her home. In 1898 the first St. Paul’s Church, an adobe structure, was erected on Highland Avenue on the present site of the Paisano Hotel. In 1929 that building was demolished to make way for the hotel and the present church was built a few blocks north on Highland. It is an attractive hollow clay tile structure veneered with river rock, comprising a sanctuary that seats 100, a large parish hall, a kitchen and a parlor, located on a corner lot directly north of the county courthouse. A new 45-year warranted metal roof was installed in the summer of 2011.
St. Paul’s is a Marfa treasure, well-known for its hospitality and welcoming attitude, hosting community-wide events on Thanksgiving, Easter Sunday and other occasions.